Is It Wise to Handle Mold Damage in My Waterbury Home Myself?
The best practice is why SERVPRO uses EPA mold remediation procedures.
Waterbury homeowners who work hard to keep their premises clean might inadvertently intensify mold growth. Mold spores are always present, causing little harm as long as excess moisture does not linger. Cleaning up spills, attending promptly to plumbing or roof leaks, and ensuring relative humidity remains below 60 percent all help limit the proliferation of mold, which requires a source of moisture. Suppose mold begins growing in a damp area like a bathroom. Scrubbing with soap and water or even diluted bleach solutions can provide the mold with additional moisture to rebound and continue growing.
How Do Professionals Abate Mold Growth and Damage?
Mold damage in Waterbury residences responds well to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) protocols. The successful track record of this approach is why SERVPRO crews receive training in this step-by-step method:
- Location of moldy areas
- Containment of workspace with 1.6 mil polypropylene, often with additional assistance from a negative pressure air scrubber
- Donning of personal protective equipment (PPE) to protect unaffected areas from crew member’s tracking
- Mechanical removal of mold colonies with brushes and scrapers
- Controlled blasting of porous materials like drywall with soda or dry ice to remove and incapacitate mold organisms
- Cleanup of debris by HEPA-filtered vacuums and spray and wipe techniques
- Application of EPA-registered antimicrobials to inhibit mold regrowth
The most successful outcomes take advantage of mold remediation research and this is why SERVPRO of Waterbury uses the EPA-designed process. Arrange an evaluation by calling (203) 757-5050.